Calm returns in Belet-Hawo after heavy fighting, Kenya says no incident in Mandera

0
Monday March 02, 2020 - 20:58:25 in Wararka by Mogadishu Times
  • Visits: 138
  • (Rating 0.0/5 Stars) Total Votes: 0
  • 0 0
  • Share via Social Media

    Calm returns in Belet-Hawo after heavy fighting, Kenya says no incident in Mandera

    Calm has returned in Belet-Hawo following heavy artillery fire between Somali National Army and Jubbaland forces as Kenya assured there was no incident on its side in Mandera.

    Share on Twitter Share on facebook Share on Digg Share on Stumbleupon Share on Delicious Share on Google Plus

Calm has returned in Belet-Hawo following heavy artillery fire between Somali National Army and Jubbaland forces as Kenya assured there was no incident on its side in Mandera.

There was no verifiable information yet on the number of casualties following the mid-morning clash which lasted into the afternoon. Thick smoke could be seen within Belet-Hawo town as residents scampered for safety amid fire exchange by the two sides.


Reports indicated some of the town’s residents fled across to Kenya as fighting intensified. Both Jubbaland and Federal Government have not issued any statement regarding the deadly fighting. Unconfirmed reports indicate some of the Jubbaland troops fled to the Kenyan side.


Kenyan police said fighting had not spilled into its border adding security forces had been deployed along the border.

"We wish to assure Kenyans that our security teams are on high alert to avert any attempt by militants in Gedo region straying into the country,” a statement from the National Police Service read in part.

It added Kenya had ‘deployed security officers appropriately to ensure peace and tranquility prevails in the country.’


Leave a comment

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip

  Tip